As we drove south, drawing closer to the border, we both felt that it wasn't right - we weren't up for it as much as we thought we were.
Visiting South Padre Island for a few days gave us some time to weigh the pros and cons. It was a tough decision and by Wednesday night we had decided to carry on over the border.
However, by Thursday morning we had changed our minds.
In the end, the reasons centred around our remaining funds and the fact that we are saturated - as in we've been in too much humidity. It doesn't make sense to only continue in a humid environment down the coast of Mexico and a rain forest at Palanque, for goodness sake.
It is a little late in the season as well. Although we were off the road for a significant amount of time in Hendersonville and then again in New Braunfels, we are still getting a bit road weary. A long trip though Mexico is probably left for a November entry when we are fresh.
So, here we are.
No - there will be no proclamation of a new plan here. Although yes, we do have one - sort of.
We know this - we are going to spend the next few months in western Texas, New Mexico and Arizona before it is safe to move up into Colorado (which we really can't wait for) and perhaps back in to Utah before we make our way north late March - early April.
We were feeling quite embarrassed about the change in plans - again - until we arrived here in west central Texas to blue skies and warm - even hot - temperatures.
On to the next post - our ride from Port Isabel to where we are now.
If you are looking for more of Rantin' n Raven we are not hard to find out there in the social media world. We are on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. See you there!