Cassia at Salvation Mountain at Slab City back in the spring of 2011.Spending time on the blog these past few weeks, specifically on our pages just above us here - has given me a chance to stop and reflect on the things I want to communicate to those that visit our blog. Such as….
The page Simple Living needs to be written.
Now, at the moment, no one will doubt me when I say that we are the epitome of simple living. After all, we are house sitting and the trick to house sitting of course is the fact that you - we in this case - are in someone else's house, using their things. What it comes with is just as exciting as what it doesn't come with. Bills. Heat - check. Lights - check. Water - check. Garbage pick up - check. Wifi - check. What isn't there to love.
And yes - we have bought out own food - one can only push the envelope so far - right?!
But let's talk about when we are on the road, after all that is where we spend a good part of our year - usually. And although we are not there right now we have lived on the road long enough that it, and all thats comes with it, is firmly
So - let's just take stock for a minute shall we…..about life on the road - can it be considered simple living?
- Finding a new place - in a public place - to sleep every night. Simple?
- Looking for a free source of potable water and dump facilities every 5 to 7 days. Simple?
- Finding a place to dump your garbage, again for free, every day. Simple?
- Move cushions, put on legs, flip out bed, get cushion from the back trailer, reinstall cushions, put down foam, lay out sheets, add pillows, and lay covers every night. Simple?
- Fold up covers, tuck away pillows, pull up sheet, fold up foam, lift cushions, bring cushion back to back trailer, flip bed up, reinstall cushions every morning. Simple?
- Cooking 3 meals with two burners, counter space the size of a postage stamp, an upper cabinet attached to your head and your legs pinned against the sofa . Simple?
- Washing dishes from said meals in 2 inches of lukewarm water. Simple?
- Shopping every 3 to 4 days for groceries because you live with a bar fridge. Simple?
- Trying to maneuver around traffic that knows exactly where they are going in their city when you don't have the slightest clue. Simple?
- When moving very fast, stopping for gas 3 times per day. Simple?
- Tying your HUGE husky up in the back bathroom, securing the fridge door, securing kid in their seat, giving said kid snacks, drinks and toys, making sure everything is off the counter, climbing into your seat in the cockpit, securing seat belt, and placing maps on lap every time you start to drive. Simple?
- Spending the winter putting out hundreds of resumes in the hopes that you can beg, plead and bargain your way into a job for the next summer so that you can do it all again next winter.
Good thing we have now renamed our blog Rantin' n Raven because darn it! this travelin' thing is not simple!
But worth it?!
We have no mortgage, no rent, no bills, not much stuff and a lot less stress than we used to have.
And we get to see, eat and drink great stuff and meet up with amazing people!
If you are looking for more of Rantin' n Raven we are not hard to find out there in the social media world. We are on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. See you there!