Saturday, May 16, 2015

45 at 45

(Because we've been busy and without internet last weekend - this post is very late. Since I had written it before in anticipation of May 10th I thought that I would go ahead and post it for the reasons I've written below.)

So, it was my Birthday last Sunday on Mother's Day!

I was born on Mother's Day May 10th, 1970 very early in the morning.

It's been 12 years since they have been on the same day.....

and this was the first time that my BD was on MD when I've been a Mother.

It was a great day! (More pictures coming soon in an upcoming post).

Recently I saw a post on another blog where the author listed 35 things about herself on her 35th Birthday.

I'm going to steal that idea.

This is definitely for all of you out there that follow us but only know us from the blog. By the time you finish this list you'll REALLY know me!

However, it really is for our daughter Cassia. One day all this will be hers to read; to learn about and recall her youth. In case she doesn't have a chance to find all this out - this is how I can tell her about me at 45 years old. I'm not as I used to be and I'm not how I will be in the future.

This is me now.

So - here we go. Forty-five things is a bit daunting - I may be scrapping the bottom by the end....

1. I was born in East York, Ontario.

2. Until I was nine we lived near highway 401 and the Toronto Zoo.


Our home! The wonders of google maps - it's been painted but looks just like it did!

3. We moved west to Cochrane, Alberta when I was 9.

4. I am of Dutch heritage. As both my parents were born in Holland, I am first generation Canadian.

5. I have one older sister.

6. I loved to draw and create as a kid.


Me a bit younger than Cassia is now. Remember the Regal school books?

7. I had long legs compared to waist and spent much of my time wearing floods growing up.

8. I grew up on the Love Boat, Chips, Threes Company and the Flintstones.

9. Mr. Dressup was my favourite show as a kid.

10. Mr. Muggs was my favourite school book as a kid.

11. I had a teal blue easy bake oven.

12. Lego was my favourite toy.


Derek making an omelet for breakfast on my Birthday.

13. I had a (security) blanket for a long long time - until 13 I think!

14. I'm better at math than english.

15. I'm a horrible speller as you regular followers can attest to.

16. My favourite music in the 70's was ABBA.

17. My favourite in the 80's was Culture Club, Bryan Adams, and Michael Jackson.


What can I say, I was a kid of the 80's. At least I'm not wearing neon. 

18. My all time favourite singer is Neil Diamond. (I've even seen him in concert!)

19. My favourite song right now is Alan Jackson's 'Remember When'.

20. My other favourite song is George Strait's 'The Road Less Travelled'


Me and my girl at the Friends of Fintry spring festival on Mother's Day.

21. My two favourite foods are popcorn and pineapple - definitely not together though!

22. I'm NOT a risk taker.

23. I'm fairly shy.

24. I was a mother for the first, and final time, at the age of 39.

25. I have naturally curly hair.

26. I rarely let loose. I'm a bit of a stick in the mud. Having a child has helped with that somewhat.

27. I'm stubborn.

28. I'm serious.


Derek made my cake but Cassia (aka the black cat) and I made the whipped cream for it. We all know why she was happy to help!

29. I love to cook and bake.

30. I can sew (sort of).

31. I spent 9 years at the University of Calgary.

32. I have a Bachelor's of Urban Studies with a minor in Latin American Studies and a Master's of Architecture.

33. I was married for the first, and final time, at the age of 32.


The happy bride and groom. 
A picture of a photo picture .. one of the items in our long lost storage items was our wedding album.

34. My favourite colour is lime green.

35. My second favourite colour is orange.

36. My favourite flower is gardenia.

37. My favourite ice cream is coconut. (Actually I'll eat or drink anything will coconut in it!)

38. I have a lazy eye.

39. I have green - blue eyes.



40. My favourite season is the fall.

41. My favourite movie is the Sound of Music.

42. I'm more of a cat person (gone but not forgotten my pals - Muffin, Tuk Tuk and Bailey) than a dog person. (I know - we have a dog - I married a dog person!)

43. I'm a recovering magazine addict.

44. I love to read - books. My other hobby is gardening.

45. I'm a big picture person - not great with the details.

Darn! I'm at the end - I was actually having fun writing this list.

It was much easier than I thought it would be - I could go on.....

But I won't.

Today is Saturday - the eye of the storm we call the May Long Weekend - Queen Victoria's Birthday and the 'unofficial start of summer'. For us Park Operator's at a campground our most challenging days are those when the campers arrive (yesterday) and when they leave (Monday). The in between time is pretty calm except for keeping up with the cleaning.

Fintry PP is more then full - in fact our overflow is almost full. We have 100 sites here and many have 2 RV's parked in them. It's a bit crazy but it seems that everyone is having a great time. The weather this weekend so far couldn't be better.

Sorry for the lack of posts. The loss of our internet last weekend was not good, and could have been disastrous if it didn't get fixed when it did. All of our reservations are on line as is our accounting and paperwork.

I should be able to catch up on a few posts next week.

See you then!

Teresa










24 comments:

  1. Hey you're back!!! Like the list idea.....will try that when I turn 62 next year!! And your #15 is not really true, awlwayz thawt you were a purty gud speller......lolol......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, back for now BlackSheep - we'll see how it goes -I'm finding it hard to keep up with it all!

      Delete
  2. What a great effort with your 45 things...I'm 72 and probably have forgotten half of my things LOL - Cass looks like a young blond you. Can you print out your blog for safety? - who knows where WWW land will be when Cass is old enough to appreciated all the wondrous wandering places you have visited. Lesalp.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie. Ya - that's why I thought to do it now instead of in the future! We are definitely going to look into making the blog into a book.

      Delete
  3. Shy? I thought you were pensive or reserved :) I love ABBA and coconut cream ice cream bars are the best. I'm glad you had a great birthday and you guys are gearing up for the summer. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Pensive probably not - seems to indicate deep thinking! Reserved - yes, a good word for me - thanks. We are certainly geared up after this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed this post, I love hearing about someone's life.
    Did you ever meet a Michael McCullough while at U od C ? He's my nephew and would be about your age.
    Cassie looks a lot like you, especially in the picture of you when you were a little girl.
    I enjoy your blog, we can't travel like we used to, as Bette Davis said, "Getting old isn't for sissies" especially when you have arthritis. We are lucky , though, we have done a lot of traveling up till a couple of years ago.
    I have a lot of Dutch friends and Amsterdam is one of my favourite cities, I just loved it even though I've only been there a couple of times.
    Elaine McCullough May in Ladysmith BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine! Thank you! No - I don't recognize the name - sometimes it's a very small world so it could have worked. I appreciate your comment. We are happy that we did as much traveling as we did because you just never know. I've been to Amsterdam once, actually my mom was born and raised there!

      Delete
  5. Not a risk taker? C'mon...you've RV'd in Mexico! It's dangerous down there you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! Not sure what to say to that Kevin. That just shows those who are afraid to go how easy it really is.

      Delete
  6. That was fun, I enjoyed learning more about you and what a fun way to do it. Cassia will cherish this when she is older. Hope the weekend goes well. We aren't very busy this weekend which is a good thing as it is only Kevin and I working. The people around here are farmers and boaters. The farmers are sowing their fields and the boaters don't have enough water at the moment. The water level will go up in a few more weeks and then we will be busy!

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend was good for us to see where we need to work on things. So true about camping in the prairies this time of year although Derek and I recall being pretty busy two years ago at Jubilee on May long - we also remember the huge hail storm!

      Delete
  7. Great post. Your daughter will cherish it one day. Hope you have a wonderful Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a friendly saying which my mom and dad both agreed upon; you never get a day older than 29 :)

    Cheers to your belated 29th B-Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. Ha! I'm glad that I'm actually not where I was then....

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful post, Happy Birthday
    Now we know you even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Here I thought you were in your thirties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We get that a lot Bob! Having a young daughter helps.

      Delete
  11. What a lgreat post. Happy BD, MD, and many more. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated b-day,
    Mine is on May 29th. Born in 1970 as well. These are the final weeks I can say I'm 44 ¾ ...
    My eyes are also blue/green - depends on the light.
    You obviously like country music. I was a dj at Country 105 for many years and mc'd the George Strait concerts at the Saddledome. He is this huge superstar, but he is such a tiny man; I'm 5'7" and when he hugged me, I felt like a giant.
    And I love that wedding pic, and the HUGE smile on your hubby's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelsi! WoW! We have much in common! Obviously I used to listen to Country 105! I'm super jealous of you not only going to a GS concert but more then one, mcing it and meeting him! One of my life's regrets not seeing him in concert! Ya - Derek looks pretty proud at that moment! It was a great day!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...