Thursday, December 20, 2012

LAZY DAZE

Not a whole lot goin' on around here these days. After all the busyness upon arriving here at Chimulco in Villa Corona, we have definitely settled into a very calm routine.

Sleep, hang around, eat, swim, hang around, walk, eat, swim, hang around, eat, walk, sleep.....

AND REPEAT.

Of course Derek and I's ittle adventure into the land of HELL altered that a little but now we are happy to say we are back on track - well, sort of. We both still have some lingering symptoms but those can be totally OVERLOOKED based on what we went through.

Thanks for all the best wishes, been there done that comments and ideas for THE CURE. We have yet to pick up some Treda but rest assured we will have some safely stored somewhere in Cabillito for the next time.

Since there wasn't a whole lot of eating going on after we now look back on it as a 3 day cleanse. Unfortunately, our little bout with Montezuma's Revenge + coincided with a dwindling stock on groceries. By the time we were ready to eat our cupboards were bare. But so were our energy stores and so by today we were fairly famished.

We were about to drag our butts back into town - which is becoming a longer walk each time we go - when we found out that Croft was headed to Mega or Walmart. So, I hitched a ride and brought back all the goods we need for the next little while.

So, I was thinking that I haven't really let you in on grocery prices here in Mexico. I have a bit I know - but how about shopping at Walmart, Mega, or Sorianna? What are the prices like there. Well, near as I can keep it all straight - they are WAY better than Canada, MUCH better than the USA and generally a LITTLE worse than buying from the local shops and fruit stands.

I like shopping in Walmart in Mexico about as much as I like it in the USA - I DON'T.

Interesting fact: We don't shop in Walmart in Canada. We are loyal customers to Superstore in Canada. We WOULD be complete loyal customers to Trader Joe's if that were an option - no surprise there right. Come on - you knew that if I was going to talk groceries TJ's was going to surface!

Here's today's line up ...... The last time we did a large grocery shopping trip was in Mazatlan just before we left there  - so December 9th. That shopping trip cost $87, and with the addition of some fruit and bakery items has gotten us to today - December 20.

Grand total: $100 for 11 days.

Which is pretty good - but I KNOW that if we just bought strictly from markets and such it would be lower yet. The thing about shopping at the BIG BOX STORES - is that you end up buying stuff that you really don't need. Pretty much anything you find in grocery stores in Canada and USA can be found in Mexico. Because we are the frugal Wood Clan we don't go in for all the high priced stuff - we keep our diet fairly simple without being too boring.


Today I spent $891.57 pesos = $68.

(STILL trying to get my mind around the LARGE numbers - it isn't easy! $891! My heart almost does a flip and a flop until I do the mental gymnastics.)

All prices following are in Canadian dollars - which is about par with USD.

Meat: average packs of chicken $5.61, rib eye steak $5.10, ground beef $4.37
Yogurt: 1 kg yummy Lala for $1.67
Coffee: Yaaaaaaaaaa we got some Veracruz ground coffee - 1 lb for $6.00 - really good! Derek was shocked I didn't buy two - or more - so was I but hey we are going to Oaxaca! Coffee CENTRAL!
Fruit: large pineapple $1.30, 1/2 papaya .48, 2 avocado .59, 6 limes .25, 6 large bananas .57
Veg: red pepper .80, 4 small potatoes .64.
Eggs: 1 carton large $1.92
Cheese: buying cheese here in Mexico totally throws me off - probably because I haven't sat down and actually done some research on it. I buy whatever looks good and reasonably priced - probably not the best way - again cheese - string cheese is a Oaxacan specialty so can't wait to get it fresh. Today I bought a average sized block of white cheese for $3.43.
Dark chocolate: We usually buy Lindt in the USA for a pretty good price around $2.30 but here in Mexico they were $4.30 even worse than Canada. Then I spotted a 72% from Italy for $2.69 which I went ahead and bought. Now I see on the receipt that it was $25 pesos - so a steal at $1.92.
Jamaica: I splurged on a bag of Jamaica for myself for $2.30 - Derek can't stand the stuff. Jamaica is dried hibiscus flowers and used to make a drink - just add water - AND sugar! I like it and it is a nice alternative to always drinking just straight water. I was even more motivated to buy it as I was just reading yesterday how good it is for us particularly for controlling blood sugar after a meal - so good for helping to prevent diabetes. It is also good to raise your levels of HDL cholesterol. So - go find yourself some Jamaica!

I bought a few other things....

Including BEER for Derek.

He's really lovin' the Bohemia Chocolate Stout


A pretty good deal for us at about $6.00 - $1 per bottle, a heck of a lot better than Canada - at least $2 per bottle.


His second favourite is the Negra Modelo - mostly because of the fancy packaging. No - I'm joking - well not really - are those COOL or are they COOL! Seriously.

And a good price at $128 pesos for 12 -- .82 per bottle.

So, I returned today the HERO of the Wood Clan for getting us some food. While I was away Derek and Cassia continued on with our normal routine - walk, swim....

This afternoon we did some laundry. I know - it just keeps getting better - right?! 

Well, wait for this ..... did I mention that it was FREE here! Which was a nice change. On the road we take paying for our laundry to be done as an expense - we need it, it costs - who cares. But free now and then sure makes our day. If the ladies here give a hand then they are tipped - and that is good - we have no problem with that and would have had no problem tipping them for their help. But today no one was around - and really - we don't need help with a couple of loads. 


It's basic but it works - a family effort.


And later just before dinner we were talking over the fence with our good friend here at Chimulco Rodrigo - whom I have been referring to as Rodriguez which is his last name. Tonight I have the spelling of his first name so thought I'd give it a try! Rodrigo has been doing his best to tutor us in our Spanish - while we assist with his English although his English is miles upon miles better than our Spanish.

And that was about it -- I took Cassia for a swim this afternoon and later took this picture by the pool.


I have been looking up and admiring the colours on this palm since we arrived - I figured I should take a picture and let you all see also. Pretty neat - right?!

And so another day has set here at Villa Corona - a VERY productive day in deed - food and laundry - now, back to walk, hang around, sleep and swim.

Teresa of the - feeling so so so much better - Wood Clan

ONE more sleep!

TODAY'S INTERESTING LINK: I found this site not too long ago - it sounded about right - Adventure Parents




3 comments:

  1. Do you have any idea what made you sick? That's my main fear about visiting Mexico! Hope you're all feeling better and don't have any more problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you all are feeling better!

    In Texas when Nancy and I go to our El Rancho Super Mercado (Mexican Grocer) we're amazed at the low prices compared to the domestic chains (Safeway/Kroger...). We usually stock up on fruits and veggies from the Mercado, fortunately we have an extra refrigerator which helps with storage. When we were in Seattle produce would last quite some time out on the counter or in the garage on a shelve, but here in Texas (due to the heat) it spoils ever so quickly.

    What throws me off on your receipt is weights and measures, kilo's? Yes, I we were taught the metric system 40 years ago in school and were told the whole world uses it, we'll all be using it in the next decade, ha RIGHT! We just don't get some things here in the USA, oh how that would have made life so much easier and we still teach otherwise in our schools. Sorry, I had to rant! What a blessing on your pocket book to see a cost reduction in everyday staples!

    You two sound like you love coffee, maybe you would like to tour a coffee plantation as you did the Tequila plantation. I've seen a couple of blogs/websites mentioning folks doing just that and enjoying a tasting. http://www.getyourguide.com/huatulco-l781/coffee-plantation-tour-from-huatulco-t19968 Most likely there is some type of tour in the coffee plantations which are better values.

    The palm tree reminds me of a giant Bird of Paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew ... so glad to hear you are feeling better !!

    Something like that sure leaves you physically drained ...

    Now we need you to get 100% well, so you can celebrate Christmas !!

    Take care ... TnT

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...